Monday, September 25, 2006

Peaceful Coup and other oximorons

Well, Wednesday's turn of events went like this:
4:45am...woke up unusually early to find that my Thai friend Ja had texted me saying that school was closed due to a protest on a street downtown. Then got another message from her saying that school was closed and teachers were supposed to come to school if possible.

4:50 am. I try to no avail to turn on the TV and find that CNN and BBC have been completely censored. The Thai broadcasts have all been shut down and no TV feeds were allowed to broadcast. This is the first time I have no longer experienced my rights that I take for granted as an American and I realize something major might be taking place.

5:00am. Call teacher friends and tell them what I know from Ja. I then call my mom and dad and leave messages to let them know that I am okay. I also call Erik and Laura and left a message.

5:20am get ready for school, friends are calling.....Kelli tells me we can get a ride with Irene to school. I pack my computer and a change of clothes and a tooth brush. Always be prepared...learned that in cub scouts....heehee!

6:00am ride to school with Kelli and Irene

6:30am check in with friends that have arrived at school.....send out an email to friends and family....wait in my classroom for instructions.....play games with Faiza and hang out....grab some money from the atm

9:00am staff meeting and information given....

10:30am....head home and eat at Joys and talk politics secretly.....

So that is the way the day started. After we had lunch at Joys I came home and took a nap and then went to Pascale's to see her kids and hang out for a bit, and then I went to my friend Nat's house and Ja cooked dinner and we sang karaoke. It was great fun. The next morning I tried to rally some people together to go and see the tanks. I went with my friends Bari and Bill. We saw four tanks and some soldiers but nothing super major.

No comments: