Tuesday, September 12, 2006

our thai chef Joy and other ramblings

Khun Joy is fast becoming one of my favorite people. He lives in my moo baan about 5 minutes away by my little moped. He has been a chef for the Four Seasons in Canada and all over the world. He considers himself more American than Thai and it is very interesting to converse with him about his persectives on the world. He just has a little restaurant right outside his housew with a huge chef kitchen outside too. He makes anything you want to order....menu ranges from Chili Fried Rice to steak and potatoes to grilled salmon and tonight we had amazing pork and grilled veggies with a spinach salad. SOOOO good!!! for 3 bucks each! wow!

I am learning Thai, today I went to Thai class and said "mrs. dog" instead of "grandmother". Thai is complicated, but very musical and I'm trying really hard to have an ear for it. Today we learned how to order in restaurants. I can speak like a two year old. I know my numbers and can say yes, hello, thank you and good bye and hello. I also am learning taxi thai so the taxi drivers can understand where they need to go. And every week I learn something new about Thai. Did you know that it is rude to point at a person in Thai? don't know why it just is.....and also writing names in red pens is taboo because they write the names of the dead in red pen. Just some random thoughts about Thailand.

Also....today is Wyatt's 10 month birthday! I miss my famliy very much this week, as I was able to talk with them for quite some time this weekend. Wyatt is doing really well. He is crawling all over the place and I even heard him laugh and giggle multiple times. For those of you that don't know, I'm going to be an aunty again soon! Erik and Laura are going to have another babe sometime around the end of March or April. They will know more this weekend. I am SOOOO excited!!!!! But I am also very saddened because I really did know what sacrifices I was making to come here, but when the times come when those sacrifices happen my heart is very heavy. I want to experience life in all places aand at all times and it is very hard for me to do this. I just hope that my babies (Wyatt and the new little one) know just how much I love them even when I am all the way around the world.

XO XO XO for now!

2 comments:

Ryan Henderson said...

hey katie, check out my blog for some insider info on the wedding. we missed celebrating with you! sandy terry says hello.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
You don't know me but I work with your dad and he has shared your blog with me. I am traveling to Thailand Nov. 17th and he thought I might like to read a little about your experience in Thailand. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventure. I think it has helped with some of my anxiety about travel since this is my first international trip. Your dad is a GREAT guy! I'm happy that he came to Monte Cristo. Thanks for sharing! Laurie Carroll