Tuesday, September 05, 2006

okay getting in the swing of things....




Dear patient friends and family,

I am finally getting in the swing of things and will post regularly. I realize i can just post my thoughts and add my pictures later. There have been some technical difficulties here as my photos tend to be pretty large files and I am using dial up at my condo. So here is a quick up date and my photos will come soon....i promise!!!!



This past weekend I went to an island about 3 hours south of here called Ko Samed. It is a WONDERFUL place. Like Hawaii but not. As the Thai people say, "Same Same but different" heehee....glorious white sandy beaches, water soooo crystal clear it's turquise blue, and every thing is very very cheap. Our room that we stayed in was very nice, typical hotel/resort type room for about 35 bucks a night. It was very close to the beach.

Let's see...some other highlights this month:

I started school and have 16 students all reading at a dra level 6 or above. Most are at an 18 to 22 (that's second grade level for all those non educators out there)! It blew my socks off!

I also started Thai classes every Tuesday and Thursday. I am learning that I taught myself sooo many things wrong. I have to reteach myself the pronounciation. Think I will get it soon enough, but it's pretty tricky!

I have been exploring Bangkok every weekend, found a wonderful place for thai and indian food downtown as well as started dancing every Wednesday night at a little Brazialian place. The dance is called Zook, and it's a Brazilian dance kind of like the salsa, but different.

I am exploring all over the place and hope I can be the best tour guide ever when ya'll come on over and visit me!!!!

Oh, and if you haven't heard of skype yet....it's FANTASTIC!!!! I have it at school now so I can skype to you guys during your day! Go to skype.com and download it!

Oh, kids are back!

Love,
Katie

No comments: