Tuesday, March 25, 2008

People and Places in Burma



I just came back from Burma this past weekend. It was one of the most amazing opportunities that I have had since being here in Thailand. We only had four days there so we stayed in Yangon for a day and then decided to take another flight up to Bagan, a quaint little town full of over 4,000 pagodas, 2,000 of them have been fully restored. We were in Bagan for two days and then flew back to Yangon in time to fly back to Bangkok. It was a whirlwind trip, but it was completely amazing and I am excited to share what I saw with you.

Burma has been under an oppressive government and it's official name is Myanmar. The true leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, won the nobel peace prize, and is now imprisoned in her own country, leading a resistance from her captivity. For more information about the current politics of Burma, click here. The government does not allow any one who is a journalist into the country, and a wise traveler tries extremely hard to support the people of Burma instead of the government. The government will jail their own people for talking about the current government situation, so we could not ask anybody any questions about their life or their opinions about the current government situation. We tried our best to give our resources to the people, and shyed away from giving any sort of support to government sponsored hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. We always looked for ways to spend our money in support of the people..

Bagan was an amazing place,and my favorite part of the whole trip was hanging out and talking with the horse cart driver, Pyi Zone (Pee Yo Zo). He was very open to talking about the oppressive government and we had many wonderful conversations. I will post more later, but I'd like to get some pictures up for you to see. It was an amazing time and I would love to go back!
To see the rest of my photos please click here














2 comments:

Dennis and Bari said...

I'll vouch for everything that you said -particularly about how wonderful the trip was, and look at all the smiles in the pictures! They were really that kind :) Beautiful pictures Katie. -Bari

Anonymous said...

Katie
I wish I could travel with you on all of your amazing adventures.
Love to you!
Christy