Saturday, December 02, 2006

Camping in Thailand









I went camping with my friends to the largest national park in Thailand, Kaeng Krachan National Park (for more info go to: http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=113&lg=2) . Let me just say, I had a BLAST!!!! But compared to camping in the Northwest, it is definitely Thai style. We stopped along the way to buy kanom, or snacks, and we had a wonderful trip up. I went with my friends Ja, Joei, Ju and Pat. I even bought a brand new tent for the occasion as well as a self-inflatable air mattress that has come in handy many times over so far. It was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again. We drove into the camp and even convinced the guards to the National Park that we were Thai....enough Thai that we didn't have to pay the farang (foreigner) price to get into the National Park, we were able to pay the Thai price. That is always exciting!!!! Once we arrived at our camp site I had to laugh....in typical Thai community style, there was a field and people just plopped their tents down wherever they wanted, some just a couple of feet away from each other. We had a wonderful day relaxing and I brought the fixin's for s'mores because my Thai friends hadn't had s'mores American style before....we roasted our marshmellows over candle light, as bon fires are prohibited. But those were the best s'mores I've had in a long time! We watched the full moon and the stars and I counted about 10 meteors falling in the sky that night. The next morning I decided to go up the mountain in a Song Tao, or a truck that has benches along the wheel wells to sit on. We went 4 wheelin' in this Song Tao, and it was very fun. I saw many wonderful birds and even saw some monkeys. There were huge plants as well. I don't remember the name of them, but I called them elephant ear plants. When I got to the top of the mountain, it was such a majestic sight, but it made me miss home. As beautiful as these mountains are, I do have to admit that nothing really compares to the Cacades on a cool, crisp day. We got to see the "Sea of Fog" and took a tour of the King's Cabin, according to the Song Tao driver, the King stayed in this cabin. I didn't believe him at first, but Ja told me that the King was a very down to earth man and had probably really stayed there. I found that pretty interesting. Overall, it was a fantastic trip! I really had a great time and I hope to go back sometime soon!

No comments: