Thursday, January 18, 2007

Christmas in the good 'ol US of A





So I have been soooo busy re-adjusting to life in Bangkok, it really has been the hardest part of my journey so far. I miss home terribly and I really don't think that two weeks is long enough to get to see everyone I want to see and spend good time with all my family and friends. I have had some major highs and some extreme valleys this last month. My "Grandma Backeast" passed away a week before Christmas, after a long fight with Alzheimer's, and my heart broke that I could not be there for my mom and my grandpa. It made coming home even more special, as I really took time to be with the people I love. I had such a wonderful time at home with Mom and Dad, Erik and Laura and little baby Wyatt....he's really not such a baby any more. His favorite word was "es" meaning "yes". What a cutie! We had so much fun taking naps together! I had such a whirlwind trip, but it sure was great to see all of you!!!! I'm sorry, I feel like I'm rambling....here were some of the highlights and events from the month of December:

December 13th - Lil' Katie came home from the hospital. She is now at about 2.5 kilos (about 5 pounds) and doing really well.

December 15th - Christmas performance....talk about a SHABANG!!!! It was in our performance hall, and I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it! What a production!

Also that night was the All Staff Christmas party. I witnessed the headmaster of our school learning traditional Thai dance. That was pretty funny! We went to a very nice hotel and had a wonderful buffet, we even got some drink tickets! After the party we went salsa dancing, and I stopped to buy some fake crocs (those crazy plastic shoes that look really funny) on the street for $2 because my feet hurt! We danced the night away! So much fun....

We had a couple of other Christmas Parties during that time as well, and report cards were due, classroom Christmas party was on Thursday, December 21. I arranged for my friend Zak to come in as Santa and all the kids were sooo funny! Christmas is celebrated here, but most students don't know the other traditions around Christmas "Miss Katie, What's a stocking?" and few really understand that Christians celebrate it as Jesus' birthday.


December 19th - Had a Chang Noi, Channukah, Kwanza, Everything party at the pool. It was great!
December 20th - Went to the Witch's Tavern and danced until way too late. Very fun!
December 21st - I packed, got a massage and a manicure and pedicure and then hung out with friends. We played Bocci Ball around our moobaan streets and then headed to Hot Chili's, a restaurant, for some drinks and fun.
December 22nd - Left Bangkok at 6am, got to Seattle at 6:50am. Was a very nice flight, not too crowded, I ended up sleeping most of the way.

My Christmas break, I spent as much time as I could just being with my family and friends. I have truly come to realize just how special and amazing being at home is, I miss it! Even if I did have to dress in 20 layers and still be chilled to the bone!

After my whirlwind trip home, I had a very late flight, and got in on Monday morning, with four hours until I had to teach that morning. I was sooo wiped out. I am still trying to cut the jeg lag. The funniest part was that I was super hungry around 9am every day, as that was dinner time in Washington. So everyone else would just have their morning coffee at milkbreak, and I'd order a full meal of phad thai or something and chow down....at 9 in the morning! Funny.



Stay posted.....more to come......like "what to do when everything annoys you" and "the day i almost died" and "Teacher's Day in Thailand" and "Sports Day"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!
This is the first time I ever read a blog! I feel so "with it" I was looking for a picture of the cousin's wedding in July! didn't see any there. Let me know if you get this comment. I don't know if I am doing this correctly. I love you! auntie sally

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie Girl,

Love all the pictures and loved having you home for Christmas - in case you haven't noticed, I only figured out how to write comments on your blog within the last week or so.

:)

Look for some of my other comments - I go as anonymous, but then so does A. Sally! (We're two paranoid old timers who don't trust the internet with our address!)

They are not just in the compost pile, ya know - they are everywhere!

Love ya,

xoxoxoo